Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The State of Black Women


The National Urban League published it's annual State of Black America report which this year focused on issues affecting black women.

I have only read the abstract of the report, which can be found here, but I was impressed by depth and breadth of what I read.

I was really encouraged to see writings on home ownership and the racist predatory lending that has helped fuel the mortgage crisis.

The Urban League has, I think, been overlooked in terms of it's work to empower black Americans. Maybe it's because there is a whiff of conservative thought in their drive for financial literacy and entrepreneurship but either way they deserve more credit for focusing on issues that affect black America without the grandstanding we've seen from other people.

The whole report, as well as older reports like their phenomenal 2007 report which looked at the state of black men in America, can be ordered here.

No comments: